Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday, monday...

I woke up this morning not wanting to get out of bed. I set my alarm for 5 am so I could get up and write and only just managed to get out of bed at 6:50 am. Blah!

Friday night met up with my writing group. It was a small circle of three but the feedback I received from my peers was right on. I could see where the work needed to be tightened and what lines fell flat but they also told me what lines were strong and what really worked. I’m in good shape. I’m pulling together a grant application and I need 15 pages of poetry. Yes, I can recycle some of my older work and I’ll have about 5 pages worth of that lot BUT I also want to put forth newer work. My writing is changing. It’s a natural process as I spend more time putting words onto a page and I want the work to reflect that development.

Let’s see what else? I managed to pack five more boxes for my impending move (some time in the next couple of weeks). I’m stacking them up in the living room and Mami is not happy with the prospect of boxes stacked in the corner. Good lord! She expects me to keep them in my room and that’s not really going to work. So I continue to stack them anyway. Hell, it is what it is.

Also more research for my next novel and jotting down notes. I’ll probably get started on putting some word count into it tonight. I seem to be constructing long passages but I don’t quite have a sense of what I’m writing about yet.

And if I procrastinate on this work, I’ll be putting time into the grant application. I have to write an artist statement talking about my writing process. I always find that I make this kind of thing harder on myself than it needs to be. After all, I write more and more about the process and should be getting much needed practice on that element, right? But nooooooo, instead I hem and haw in front of the page completely blank as to what to write. This time I’m writing it first. In fact, I found an essay I wrote several years ago about why I write poetry. Who knew I had something to say on the subject. It’s good material to draw from. So much to do, so little time.

Peace,

L~

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2011 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment