Friday, March 4, 2011

The memorial for Akilah Oliver was terribly sad and beautiful. Her family told stories about the woman that they knew as sister and aunt. Then her friends honored her in poetry and song. The words, the verses broke my heart open and I cried through the better part of the memorial. The tears were necessary and cathartic and I woke up this morning feeling lighter than I have in almost two months. That is not to say that I won’t miss Akilah a great deal, but allowing myself the space to grieve in a community loosened up the emotions I had been trying to tamp down this past week. The verses read soothed my spirit and the tears lightened me up. Some folks read her words out loud and all I can say is I wish I had known her better. The writing community lost a brilliant intellectual, poet and teacher.

Nandai:
Since time began
the dead alone know peace.
Life is but melting snow.


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2011 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment