Saturday, May 14, 2011

Friday's blog entry

The sky is thick with grey clouds today and I’m sleepy from taking allergy medicine early this morning.  I’m ready for a nap and I’ve barely started my day.
Yesterday (Thursday) I did some writing.  Didn’t get very far with it and I’m not sure where to take this section.  I am trying to trust the process but the control freak part of me has a hard time letting go of the white knuckle grip.  Hmmm.  When I just let go the story seems to unfold on its own.  I can see the images and hear the dialogue between the characters.  It’s like getting invited to a party and just sitting there and taking notes of everything that happens.  Listening in on all the conversations and putting it down as fast as I can.  It’s all very exciting.  But when I try to control the forward motion of the story, it’s like playing director and giving the characters instructions on where they should stand and what they should say.  That way of writing gets exhausting and then I don’t want to go back to the page.  Ergh * crooked mouth.* The one thing that has worked is I have to write a little bit every day.  It doesn’t matter how good it is or how much I write, I just have to put some words down.  It’s more important to get something down then to allow myself to flounder too long. 
It reminds me of something Sally Mann said in a documentary about her process and her work.  About how she would take an intensive time to put together a show and when the exhibit was hung and done, she would feel down because she would think to herself, “that’s it.  That’s all I’ve got left.  I’ll never be able to take another photograph again.”  This woman is an amazing photographer and her work is stunning.  But she also talks about the only thing that gets her past that point is to go out and shoot.  It can be anything but it’s about taking just one more photo.  I guess that’s all one can do.  We keep working.  Plodding through it. It’s not very exciting or glamorous but it’s putting the time in.  Tony compares it to putting money in the bank. Eventually it will all pay off.
Peace,

L~


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2011 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment