Monday, May 9, 2011

Uhm...yeah

The weather is finally starting to warm up and Mother’s Day was spent bbq-ing at my folk’s place. Lots of hot dogs with plenty of mustard and ‘kraut. Yum!! I don’t go near the burgers because my family makes them so well done that they may as well be charcoal bricks. Bleck! However, spicy sausages helped mitigate that loss.

Now it’s back to work and I can’t stop yawning and sneezing. Allergy season is upon us full force. I tried getting up at 5:30 this morning so I can spend some time writing…but it didn’t work. I couldn’t stay up long enough to feed my cat much less work. I sat up at the edge of my bed and looked out my window. It just so happened that it was a grey cloud covered morning and that’s all it took for me to turn around and go back to bed for another hour. I have to get myself back on a schedule…it will help me get back on track. Easier said than done.

The one thing I have been doing is reading Kathe Koja’s, Under the Poppy. Her language is elegant. She manages to extract the psychology of her characters therefore the actions they take ring true. I can’t get enough and I’m almost done with this book. The other writing aspect that I admire from her work is the way she’s able to handle the past (relevant to the characters) in snippets during the present conversation between two characters. This is not easy by any means. In fact, I find that I struggle with giving away too much information in these large meandering paragraphs and then when I go back I have to scale it all back down. Koja manages to say so much in a few precise lines about what each is capable of and why. This method is so uniquely hers that I couldn’t emulate it even if I tried. There was one short chapter that I couldn’t quite follow because she was introducing too many voices at one time. But for the most part, she does it so well. Her skill is genius. *sigh*

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got. No news on my novel since *eyes downcast, toe kicking up dirt* I haven’t been working as diligently as last month. I’m going to go home tonight and work on it. No excuses.

Peace,
L~

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2011 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment