Monday, May 7, 2012

Going on and on and on

Okay, I’m writing this blog in the midst of a raging headache but I was hoping that writing (which is my cure-all next to drinking water) would distract me from it.

The Avengers / Joss Whedon
How long has it been since I raved about Joss Whedon? Oh right...after Cabin in the Woods. Well, I went to see The Avengers this weekend and loved it. It’s partly because I’m a die-hard Whedon fan. Go Mutant Enemy, Grrr-Argh!! And partly because I really love the snarky humor in the movie.

Yes, the action in it was pretty good too but you know me, I’m always about the dialogue and there was enough juicy bits for me to chew on. Also, I didn’t watch in 3-D because my eyes don’t quite compute without shutting down into a migraine. Anyway Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow didn’t hurt the eyes either. I wished Cobie Smulders had more lines because I’m all about strong smart women in films. Robert Downey Jr. was most excellent as per usual...but I’ve gotta give a big shout out for Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner/The Hulk. Ruffalo completely won me over in this film.

I’ve been reading what the critics are saying about the movie and there are few things that I agree on BUT (rabid Whedon fan about to shout) EVERY TIME JOSS WHEDON has tried to do his own thing, the studios nix his ideas because they tend to run too far into the dark side. So Whedon needed a win here and I’m glad he’s doing well by this movie. Anyway, I’m probably going to go see this movie again on the big screen ‘cause it makes me really laugh out loud.

Evita
So tomorrow I am going to see Evita on Broadway. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. No, seriously, I have wanted to see this musical since Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin were leads in the original production, back in 1979. Every time the commercial came on t.v., me and my sister Ces, would belt out the few bars of “Buenos Aires” and dance around our living room like two crazy children. Anyway, I begged and pleaded for my folks to take me to see it but alas it wasn’t in the cards, too expensive. They thought I was too young for some fancy broadway show and they took me to the circus instead. * humph * Let’s just say that I’m not a fan of the circus. I always felt bad for the animals. * doing a little happy dance *

Okay, headache seems to be getting worse so I went and got a big mug of ice cold water. The cold water has made my fingers very cold and pressing them to my temples feels so gooooood. It’s a mild migraine. I’m having dinner with some friends later and I’d really like it to go away before I have to meet up with them.

At this very moment, I’m listening (very softly) to Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy”...I love the opening lines to this song. “I remember when I lost my mind. There was something so pleasant about that day. Even your emotions have an echo in so much space.” Haha! Great lines.

The Legend of Korra
The sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender is finally airing. (Tony reminded me yesterday.) So I watched the first couple of episodes yesterday and was really getting into it. At first, I was resistant because the original characters were no longer in the storyline but once I let that go, it grew on me. Tony said that the lead character of Korra reminds him of me because she’s so headstrong and stubborn. Ha! I totally see it. There is a scene in the second episode where she is trying to learn to air-bend. Her teacher tells her to be like a leaf in the wind to get through a maze of spinning walls. Korra proceeds forward and gets knocked upside her head by those spinning walls and after a couple of unsuccessful tries she gets so angry she uses fire to blaze through the walls. Ha! Yep, I totally see it. Anyway, this is a great animated series to check out for young and old alike.

Update on Indigo
Let’s see writing is like those spinning walls, I’m getting knocked upside my head trying to get through this next part in my novel. Hehehe. I’m still writing. I haven’t given up. I promise not to torch the pages. I just sometimes feel like I’m not smart enough to write this novel. There is so much story to tell but I’m not sure I’ve got what it takes to finish it. Crazy, I know. I write despite my natural tendency to want to run away from this story.

I’ve gone on for ages and the headache is a dull ache in the right side of my brain. I think I should be okay for tonight if I don’t drink or eat. Ha!
Peace,

L~
 
All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2012 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment