Thursday, May 31, 2012

Evita - Part Deux


I was able to score some cheepie-cheepie tickets in the nosebleed section to see Evita again, this time with the alternate Eva played by Christina DeCicco. Before I made it to the theater, I was having second thoughts about going to see this show for the second time so soon. My interior monologue was going on and on about what a waste of money this was because there were no guarantees that this show would be any better.  After all, my first show left me wanting a different experience. However, DeCicco was amazing!!

The big number of “Buenas Aires” was thrilling. DeCicco’s voice was vibrant and her dance moves were smooth and seductive. I get that Elena Roger is a major Broadway star but DeCicco just did a better job. Her voice hit those high notes without it sounding screechy. DeCicco had better phrasing with the songs which made it far more enjoyable. Her rendition of “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina” was the moment that my interior monologue finally shut the heck up.

My absolute favorite song of the night was her closing number “Lament” it was heartbreaking. I had big soppy tears streaming down my face and I couldn’t make it stop. It was as if with this one song she cracked open my chest and ripped out my heart. Okay, a bit overstated but with that performance....that performance is what I NEEDED the show to be after waiting 30+ years to finally see this musical. *big cheesy smile* All is NOT right with the world but just for a moment I was transported into this glittery world of theater. Everything else just went away.

So my recommendation is go see Christina DeCicco in Evita on Wednesday nights or Saturday matinee, I promise you she is SO worth it. 

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2012 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment