Monday, June 4, 2012

Empty Glass


Let’s see my weekend went something like this.
Friday morning I woke up with a splitting migraine. It was so bad that the small bit of light that streamed through my window caused actual physical pain. The waves of nausea kept me home bound. I called in sick and went back to bed where I hovered under my duvet praying to God to strike me dead once and for all and just get it over and done with. Yes, it was one of my finer self-pitying moments. Around 3 in the afternoon the worst parts of my symptoms finally subsided and I was able to get down a strong cup of tea and some toast without causing upheaval. After a cool shower, I decided to check my e-mail and spend some time writing. As I was pulling up my documents, it struck me that I hadn’t backed up my laptop in about a month and was just taking out my backup drive when my laptop froze. I didn’t think much of it, I just shut it down and started it back up again. Then tragedy struck, it opened up to a folder with a question mark on it, for those without a Mac, it meant that my hard drive was corrupted. That’s right folks, I lost yet another hard drive. It’s been almost two years to the day that I replaced my last hard drive. I tried starting it up with my OS X disks only to discover that it wouldn’t even load up. Double damn!! I had a good talking to myself...it went something like this-- “self, you are not going to break down. Pull it together, you are not allowed to fall apart over this.” I took a deep breath and sat at my dining room table and worked on a puzzle to get my mind focused elsewhere.

When my sister came home, she rallied me to write up a quick note on facebook to friends and family asking for a donation to help me buy a new computer for my birthday. I know I should do this kind of thing more often but a part of me “ego/pride” always gets in my way. Anyway, I did it and received a few donations.

I took my laptop to the genius bar to get an estimate on how much it would cost to get it fixed. I was expecting worst case scenario. Instead, I got a cute techie grrl giving me a feasible estimate which included cost of parts and labor....then she knocked off labor. Seriously! I was grateful for the break ‘cause this is rent week which means I’m pretty much skint. So the donations allowed me to cover some of the cost for a new hard drive. So thank you to my supporters and for cute techie grrl at the Apple store.

So let’s see I a lost a month’s work of writing. Grrr.

Another hard drive...double grrr.

And then ten minutes ago, my mother called me to tell me that my 9-year old cousin Brandon had passed away. He had been fighting brain cancer for the past year and a half. It stopped me in my tracks, the same way a ton of bricks always do. Then my grumblings about migraines and crashed hard drives felt small by comparison. In some ways, I know one thing has nothing to do with the other but I guess this is how things unfold, in these messy heaps of happenings. My condolences go out to my cousin Alphonso and his family.
Peace,

L~
All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2012 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment