Monday, April 30, 2012

Jack White at Webster Hall



It’s been three whole days since the Jack White concert and this is the first that I’m writing about it.  Shall I go into all the gory details OR do I just talk about the good stuff.  Hehehe.  Decisions, decisions.  All right gory details it is. 

I was on line outside the venue for a mere two hours in the freezing cold.  My lips were blue by the time I got into the holding area.  Okay, not a big deal, I don't mind suffering a little to go see someone outstanding.  Then another hour in the bar with a group of douchy guys being loud and obnoxious behind me which was not fun for me.  My chicana temper was restrained ‘cause I didn’t want to be ejected before I even got into the ballroom.  All right.  I finally get in and proceed to wait another two hours before the actual concert.  That includes a really awful opening act…wish I could name them but really not worth mentioning.  I yawned through their music ‘cause it was that nondescript. 
  
I did get a glimpse of Gary Oldman so that was the extent of my star sightings that night.  Although I heard J-Z was in the house, but he was not in the pit with the rest of us.  Okay, so there I was ten deep from the stage ready for my J. White experience and the opening act comes on and bores to me tears but folks are already squeezing, vying for a spot in the front.  Let’s just say I’m a bit claustrophobic.  I don’t like being pushed and manhandled and elbowed…it’s just not my thing and people are aggressive and really trying to get up front.  I hold on through most of the opening act BUT as soon White is about to come on stage the crowd rushes forward and I am looking for a way out fast.  Being only 5’2” let’s just say I needed a bit of breathing room.  I manage to find a spot next to one of the cameramen…the one way back that had the long view of the stage.  I even managed to keep a decent view of White’s mic. 

So I think I’m golden and I manage to talk some 6 foot guys from blocking my view for a good portion of the first couple of songs, so I can actually see White singing.  I am totally stoked and rocking along with each of his songs.  Loving the line-up.  Loving the guitar.  Jack White can wail on that guitar until it virtually sings backup for him.  He’s amazing to watch live and the sound is sick in that ballroom.  So I’m having a good time.  Then the wall of 6 foot guys decided they need to stand right in front of me.  Ergh!  It just does my head in ‘cause now I can’t see anything…but I can still hear music and jam along so it’s not ideal but I can manage.  Until the guys decide they want to dance along which just sucks cause they are now throwing elbows and moving to the words and it’s just not pretty anymore.  On the very last number of the first set, a guy jams back into me making me go back and my knee goes pop in the other direction.  M****r F****r.  He’s wrenched my knee and I am out of commission.   

I hobble over to the staircase and pop my kneecap back into place.  Yep, I’m done.  I manage to hobble down the stairs, out into the street, pass by Oldman as he zips his pants, wave goodbye to him and head for the train.  That is my little glory time watching White. 

On Saturday, I’m on prescription strength ibuprofen’s and ice packs to get the swelling down.  On Monday, I lose a day of work.  Blah!  I’m not upset about work…I’m more upset about losing out on that second act.  I went online and saw a couple of songs that I wanted to hear live.  Thank goodness for YouTube!!  Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  Glad I got a chance to see and hear what I did though.  Will love to catch White another time. 

Here’s his setlist for that night:

The Peacocks
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (The White Stripes song)

Missing Pieces 

Freedom At 21 

Love Interruption 

Hotel Yorba (The White Stripes song)

Two Against One (Rome cover)

Top Yourself (The Raconteurs song)

I'm Slowly Turning Into You (The White Stripes song)

Blue Blood Blues (The Dead Weather song) (With "Screwdriver" Riff Intro)

Take Me With You When You Go

Los Buzzardos
Sixteen Saltines 

I Cut Like a Buffalo (The Dead Weather song)

Weep Themselves to Sleep 

Trash Tongue Talker
You Know That I Know (Hank Williams cover)

We're Going to be Friends (The White Stripes song)

Hypocritical Kiss 

Hello Operator (The White Stripes song)

Carolina Drama (The Raconteurs song)

Catch Hell Blues (Fragment) (The White Stripes song)

Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes song)

Goodnight Irene (Leadbelly cover)


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2012 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment