Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Road to Mecca by Athol Fugard

Last Friday I went to see Athol Fugard's play, The Road to Mecca at the Roundabout Theater. Although the cast was stellar…I have to say that the piece was over-written. The story could have unfolded without so much exposition. I was drowning in words. I held up pretty well in the first (hour-long) act, primly perched on my seat, listening to the conflicts that were unfolding for the two main characters (Miss Helen and Elsa Barlow). I was interested, invested, and following along. But once the intermission came up, I realized I didn’t quite understand the relationship between the characters until deep into the second act.

Rosemary Harris (Miss Helen) had this gorgeous monologue halfway through the second act but it went on way too long and when it was over, I thought the play was close to finished…only to learn that it would go on for another 25 minutes. It was a painful 25 minutes because the exposition continued and new information was introduced. From that point on, every five minutes, I thought the play was winding down only for more words, more story and I was overcome with an attack of the giggles. In this instance, I was really glad I was in the nosebleed seats because I couldn’t stop laughing. I kept asking out loud, “Is it over yet?” only for the actors to go into another monologue.

The acting was superb. The stage design and lighting were beautiful. I just wish some of the monologues were tighter. I think the next play I want to go see is Look Back in Anger by John Osborne. It’s been in previews this past month and it opens on Thursday night. Hmmm. We shall see.

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2012 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment