Monday, January 28, 2013

A Little Place Called Crazy

I’m right smack in the middle of crazy on this Monday morning. I am finally putting the manuscript aside for a couple of weeks. After attempting to write several endings and being thoroughly unhappy with any version, I’ve decided to put it away and clear my head. I spent most of Sunday cleaning my apartment. It’s needed a scrub down. Bathroom, living room and hallways are sparkling clean. Bedroom is still a mess but we’re not discussing that at the moment. I managed to run some errands and buy a much needed laptop battery to replace the warping version that was in my MacBook. Ergh!

I asked the salesperson at the Apple store if they would be able to properly recycle the old warped battery and he said he’d absolutely take it off my hands but he wanted to know if it was leaking contaminants. Without missing a beat and as straight-face as I could manage, I replied, “Probably.” The sales associate took one look at me and burst out laughing. It took him a moment to recover before he went off to look for a compatible battery. It’s always a bit odd at how I amuse complete strangers.

I dashed off to go do some window shopping on Fifth Avenue. There is no point in entering any of these clothing stores because 1) can’t afford it and 2) can’t fit into their very tiny clothing line. Then a visit to Pier 1 to take a look at furniture. My sister announced to me a couple of weeks ago that she’s going to be moving out around mid-summer. * sigh * I’ve had enough time to process that information and not panic (kind-of). Really most of my head space has been occupied over this novel and the news that she was going to move out surprised me enough to bury my head into my story. I sent a few queries out to some friends and I have someone interested in being roommates. So panic has been diverted to looking at the living space and knowing when my sister leaves she’s going to take with her the dining room table and chairs. For the record, I think it’s ridiculous that a dining room table should cost over $1,000. There is no reason why it should cost that much. It’s ridiculous. So I was feeling grumbly over how expensive furniture is, let me revise that, how expensive things are in NYC. And no, I don’t want to buy a table from Ikea. I’m a bit fed up with particle board furniture.

So what’s the alternative? Craigslist? Garage sales? Or maybe, I won’t buy a table. It’s all just “stuff”. Perhaps a bit more bare existence won’t be so bad. This morning, on my way to the train station, one of our neighbors decided to throw out their couch (in the middle of the night) and leave it out on the front lawn of the apartment building. Really? It will snow with freezing rain today and that’s how they decide to dispose of their old couch. People just boggle my mind sometimes.

Tonight I am off to see Tegan and Sara in concert at the Beacon. This duo is a guilty pleasure of mine and I can’t wait to see them live. Yay! Dancing around to live music is exactly what I need to shake off these Monday grumbly blahs. Peace, L~

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2013 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment