Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chilled out Chicana

I started to write this entry yesterday but quickly became sidetracked.

I treated myself to two days off and made a long weekend of it. Hung out with my buddy Tony up in Oneida and he made yummy meals for me. He turned me on to a gluten-free Hard Cider from Vermont called Amber Woodchuck (or something like that). It’s so freakin’ good. He also forced me to watch a couple of episodes of the UK comedy, The IT Crowd that made me laugh so hard that even today, three days later, I’m still laughing as I recall one or two scenes from each of the episodes I watched. It was good fun. We also watched Felicity Day’s The Guild…also very funny in its own geeky way. I’m not much of an online gamer so some of the references went over my head but it still made me laugh.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the quiet, being away from the city, being back upstate which is really my second home, just reminded me how much I want a quieter life. He taught me a French dice game called Dix Millett on the last night and we stayed up until 2:30 am playing it. Very addicting game. Now I have to teach my sisters to play it so I can have someone to play with.

Let’s see I also wrote a little, walked around a little, slept really well for the first time in weeks, sat on the porch and drank Cider and listened to the rain fall, chatted a little, listened to a little music, cut up lots of veggies for lunch and dinner, and had a hell of a good time doing it all. I felt closer to being my old self (the one in the good space), a settled content soul. What a difference just a little peace and quiet makes.

I also appreciate Tony friendship and it was good to catch up with him. I hadn’t realized that it’s been two years since we’ve seen each other in person. Skyping has fooled me into thinking I’d seen him sooner. Yikes, it’s been too long and I’ll probably head back up there again very soon for a writing jag. I’ve been thinking about moving out of NYC and heading north for a long time. Maybe it’s time to pull myself together and look at job opportunities in Syracuse and Albany or Burlington, VT ‘cause this dog-eat-dog life is wearing on my very last nerve.

Yesterday morning, I was still feeling relaxed and pretty gentle after such a quiet time. Of course, today I’m back to calling rude bumping people, “tool” and “douche bag” after 2.5 days and my Chicana temper is back into full effect. Ergh! I thought it would take a little longer than that. Bummer. By the way, what is up with people walking around and texting in the midst of a crowded sidewalk? It wouldn’t be a big deal, if said people were walking at about the same pace as everyone else but Noooooo, instead you have them either walking in a weird robotic way because they can’t walk and text at the same time OR they are not watching where they are going and they ACTUALLY get annoyed when they bump into oncoming walking traffic…WTF is that about?! *sigh * I have no patience for self-absorbed a**h***s. I am this close (forefinger and thumb very close together) to slapping away the cell phone from their hands every opportunity I get. Hehehe. Made me giggle, cause it’s true.

Music update: Jack White has a new video out for Freedom at 21 which is by far my favorite song on his Blunderbuss album, (Love Interruption still high up on the list). However, the video is so stupid that I won’t even put it up. Grinding half naked women on Jack White just does NOT do it for me. Sorry. I think he even channels some Jack Sparrow/Johnny Depp ticks when he’s captured in solo shots. I like the cuts of him riffing on his guitar and if I could splice the video to just those images I’d do just that…but alas…it goes to some weird extreme of a car chase in the desert, female officer arresting White and putting him in an all-female jail, then the grinding begins. Yep, not my cup of tea (as I clutch my pearls). LOL!

Jumping music, Tony made me a watch a couple of Kimbra videos that are so cute and creepy at the same time that they should be checked out as well. Settle Down video below.  I have to say I really like Kimbra’s voice. She reminds me of an upbeat, bubbly P.J. Harvey. Is that sacrilege? Hehehe.

Last but not least, I cannot stop listening to Lianne La Havas. The video that I put up last week still remains my favorite but another tune called LIAR really gets to me too. Check ‘em out.

That’s all she wrote.

Peace,

L~


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2012 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment