Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Another Day, Another Dollar (pronounced dolla')

Let’s see today I did NOT wake up at 5:30 am. Hell, I’m lucky I dragged my butt out of bed today by 7:20 am. I was up late last night watching last season’s episodes of Dexter with Bleu. I meant to only watch one episode and watch another one the next day etc etc. Instead, I watched 3.5 hours worth of episodes. Although, I have to admit that sleeping in felt like a luxury. Seven whole hours, what bliss.

I have to say that the drama keeps playing out in my head. My brain keeps moving around the problems that I know are staring back at me every time I face the page. It’s disconcerting. And I think I may have come up with a tiny solution for one part of the next scene…having some time on my hands in the office, I worked on the scene, wrote up 4 new pages for the next part, and I’m still mulling over what comes next. You see, the 4 new pages is taking the story down the rabbit hole. Where it’s going nobody knows, not even the writer. Again, disconcerting.

This is where I admit what a control freak I am. I really am. Can’t help it. It comes from being the oldest sibling, I think. I’ve been holding on so tight to the story line that I’ve had a hard time letting go of some sequence of events. There are just these moments that I absolutely LOVE now that they are written…I have a hard time changing them/letting them go. Seriously, I wouldn’t be struggling so much with it if I’d just let it flow. If I could be a bit more Zen about it and just stop trying to pin everything down, carve it into stone. What a hard, hard lesson for me. Hehehe. As you can tell, I’m not feeling morose and self-pitying about it…it feels good to be working through this process. I’m learning something new about my craft and about the way I move through a piece of work. Who knows, this play might turn out to be the biggest piece of crap I ever wrote…but at least I’m writing. Usually, I let my self-doubt stop me from making any progress on either the work or the craft. So yay for now!
Today it’s a bright crisp day and life is good ‘cause I’m writing. Peace~



All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

1 comment:

  1. ...or it could be an award winning piece of writing...positive thinking is powerful!

    ReplyDelete