Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Today is the second day this week that I’ve woken up at 5:30 am. The first 30 minutes is about getting a big mug of tea, feeding Pandora (cause she’s always hungry), and moving around to wake my brain up.

I sat down today and started up the next scene between Dylan and Mona, wouldn’t you know it, my critic Taz perked up in my last ten minutes of writing. (I am now calling my inner critic Taz, after Tasmanian Devil since it wrecks havoc on my writing life.) You see, I was writing along everything was going fine. Then I began writing this interaction that I was starting to feel unsure of. It was a ripe opportunity for my inner critic to pounce on.

It went something like this, “if this happens next it’s too obvious. That’s not good writing. Who’s going to take you seriously if you write that?”

I almost balked and stopped writing. But this tiny voice came up from the back of my brain that said, “F**k it! If it’s obvious you can always re-write. In fact, write the obvious. Have fun. Make it as obvious as you possibly can. Who knows you might discover something.”

And guess what? I discovered something. It’s just a nugget of an idea. Even now, I’m getting goose bumps because it might actually work. I won’t let the cat out of the bag. Not yet. I wrote up a couple of quick lines to point me in the direction of that nugget and finished up my writing jag this morning by 7 am. I wrote 4 pages and 1 line on the next page and it feels freaking awesome!!

After just two days of writing in the morning, I feel my optimism start to spring alive. What’s that about? I am the consummate pessimist and take great pride in it. After all, I am a New Yorker (pronounced Noo Yawker). LOL! Even as I write that out, I’m really not taking myself too seriously about being a pessimist. It’s too early in the day, the sun is shining and the air is cool and brisk. For a change, it feels good to be working steadily on my creative work. I can face my day job with a smile on my face and a Sade song in my head.

Hoorah!!

L~

P.S. If anyone is going to be in downtown Brooklyn today (Tues 9/21), there is an Art Opening at BAM Peter Jay Sharp Bldg (30 Lafayette) tonight at 6 pm. See you there!

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment