Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Delicate Flower



Someone please tell me that it hasn't been 19 days since I last wrote on this blog.  Good grief, where does the time go? I've been working this week on my play and I took in 19 pages to my writing group.  The feedback I received was so right on but it also meant I needed to ax the first scene.  Yikes!  I am so glad that we are getting back into the swing of writing group again.  Their encouragement makes me want to write more. Positive reinforcement is lovely and it works wonders for my delicate sensibility.  Hehehe.  That last sentence made me giggle, I sound like a delicate flower.  I have to admit, sometimes I am when it comes to playwriting these days.  I am trying to encourage myself to get through a whole play again. I am focusing only as far as the next scene.

Anyway, last night I started making the changes and it was easier than I expected.  It meant re-working scene 2 and fleshing out the relationship between Dylan and Mona so that big gaping holes of info wouldn't be so noticeable.  Ha!  My inner critic keeps pointing out the holes.  I keep moving forward.

I've just finished reading week 3 of Julia Cameron's Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance.   She writes about how just writing three pages a day demystified the weight of being a writer.  "Freed from the weight of my entire identity, writing became something I did more lightly.  Writing itself became easier, less tortured, less self-important.  I became a woman who wrote..."  Her words came alive for me.  I've been putting so much pressure of finding large chunks of time to work that I wasn't acknowledging the small moments of writing that I've been doing a day.  Sometimes it's just an hour, sometimes it's jotting a phrase or an idea while I'm on the subway.  My wheels are constantly turning and the words are coming out.  But I find that I don't give myself much credit despite the work that I am doing.

I open my mouth to loosen up the tight jaw muscles...too much time clenching my teeth.  I want to loosen up and just write.  So I am committing myself this week to getting up at 6 am every morning to write for an hour.  Eventually, I'd like to get up at 5:30 am but easy does it, I am not much of a morning person.  That way my day job won't feel so constricting to my creative life.  All for now, wish me luck.

L~    

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment