Thursday, March 25, 2010

03.25.10

Every once in awhile the writing becomes difficult for me.  The words are forced, the process becomes thick and dense.  The pleasure is sanded down and I can't bear to sit in front of my laptop or write in my journal.  Yesterday, I took a holiday from writing and decided to use some of the art supplies around the studio.  It was completely decadent letting this painting unfold in front of me.  I took my time and the world seemed to disappear.  I used pallet knives to add and subtract acrylics until this piece came into being.  It's been a long time since I've worked on such a large scale, really who has this kind of space in real life.... ;-)   and what pleasure to play with the colors, to angle the knives just so, to mix and streak the white before it turns to mud.  Of course there were mistakes but unlike the frustration I feel with my writing it felt loose and open because the opportunity to correct was half the fun.  The creative self, the part of me that seeks pleasure when I connect was completely satiated.  I spent the better part of the morning and the early afternoon (losing time in the process) to just work.  It's 36 inches wide and 60 inches tall  (1 meter x 1.5 meters).  I tried to keep the paint as flat and as thin as possible since I think I'll probably roll these canvases to take back to NYC.  The smile that keeps bubbling up comes from the center of my being.  I can't wait for the paints that I bought off Tony to come in the mail.  He's moved on to a different medium so he has all these tubes of acrylics....it'll be good see what more comes through then.  I feel like a kid in candy store.  YAY! 


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment