Thursday, March 11, 2010

Let it be an Elegy on an Empty Stage




A breeze comes in a chilled manner
birds glide in stream lines across
the earth damp from last night’s rain.
Heavy storm clouds move in this direction
seek shelter beneath the house, a crawl space.

Intimidated meeting the blank page
ramble without much direction
icy fingers start to ache
follow behind, pulled along by a thin line
a bright blue sky past large white clouds.

There is something beautiful in a sky full of fluffy clouds
Tea is brewing, I wish there was a couch I can curl up on and write from
My heart hurts, it feels wounded… tight achy spots
too many years of grief rolls me up into a tight little ball
These days my body pushes back.  It’s 12:07 and I am blank.
I feel a little isolated and lonely at the moment
What do you want the story to be about?
About love and utter desolation.
You can’t keep skirting this loss

An empty stage
Start with a woman
putting a chair off center
at an angle and go from there. 
You will know how to fill the space
once you start. She would be silent. 
Why? A sign of repression, self-hatred.
darkness starts looking into you as well

What is the pain level these days?
Walks in the woods, the large open space,
sun prickling my skin turning it pink when it peeks out,
wind in my hair, large puffy clouds overhead,
pulling me out of the dark and twisty place from time to time.

I put the chili on the stove to warm up and grated cheddar cheese to top it.
Ill-equipped to write something meaningful and worthwhile
Art is not about thinking something up.  It is about …getting something down.
I strain, hem and haw, procrastinate, write in circles.  A spiral of misdirection.
Avoiding this lonely time
Avoiding the empty page
Just keep putting words on a page
Resistance is futile

Dim afternoon light mostly covered by clouds.
Asian ladybugs skitter across the tabletop,
keep the creepy crawlies in check.
Altra, the cat, smells of pines needles
seated on the floor beside my chair
with her back towards me standing guard.  
Stark trees look like reaching hungry hands
against the grey skies. A large mug of milky
sweet earl grey tea to keep the memories at bay. 


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

2 comments:

  1. I see the dark forest with it's dark green-grey-teal solitude. I feel lost and I don't want to be found yet. I've always enjoyed the wilderness of your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gulay for your beautiful words. They are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete