Saturday, March 13, 2010

Grabbing Bits



Two black crows fly in synch across the yard
on this cold foggy day. A respite  
from our liaison in my head, 
I walk down to the chicken coops
to dump food scraps and collect eggs,
they gather around and scare me away
with their clucking ways.
How sharp are those beaks anyway? 
I meditate at the dream studio,
stretch my neck, tight chords unsung
wooden stick props a jaw bone wide open
teeth sink down, bite-mark scars.
Lilly, the horse, grabby-grabs apple bits
from my hand, pink white tongue scoops up treats
nipping my backpack for more when she’s eaten
them all up.  Patches of green grass sprout
past the yellow pasture.  Scarlet cardinal,
a splash of bright red on this rainy day.
The studio is cold as I work through yoga
asanas, a lopsided tree pose.
A little boy and his dad race up a small hill,
he cries in protest when his daddy takes the lead. 
Ladybug carcasses cover the window ledge.
Only You by Yaz, fills the air with long ago
memories, time to stretch and breathe other-
wise yesterday will imprison me.
I made Earl Grey tea some time ago
but putzing around for so long,
it’s gone cold. Slip and call or write
It’s a good snoozy day,
the kind where you get under a duvet
and watch a movie through sleepy hazy eyes
but I’m still doing the white rabbit dance,
I’m late, I’m late, I’m late for an important date.
Lunch consists of a tuna fish sandwich
with a little mayo, some raw onion, and sweet pickle relish,
it hits the hungry part perfectly.  I keep track of what I’ve done
this week on 3x5 index cards, to keep checking in with myself.
I can let this time escape me
a place of bliss and tranquility
but really who has time for that?
A professor crushed a bit of my spirit last fall,
I’ve been recovering small pieces ever since.

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment