Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ketch-up Entry

I’ve got some things rattling up inside my brain skull. Too much really and I keep taking my sweet time with writing blog entries so I am way behind here, bear with me. Been busy living life, I guess.

Nov 19- Went to see Ani DiFranco perform in Town Hall. Had a great time and I’m a bit peeved that my little cheap camera phone took crap pics. As in, unable to see anything really. So no uploadable shots. Security guards were also being annoying with people taking pics and kept removing people. *rolling my eyes* I will say that Ani D. was in rare form that night on her guitar. Every time I listen to her play, I want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play (just like her). Oh and who opened for her but none other than Melissa Ferrick...sweet Jesus can she rock! And it doesn’t hurt that she’s really hot in her tall gangly way. Ferrick just came out with her new album: She’s Still Right Here  It was a fantastic show.

Anyway, as I was walking to the train, I overheard some VERY young women talking about how disappointed they were that Ani D. didn’t sing more of her old material. But I totally get it. As a creative person, you move forward and showcase your newest material. Not to discredit the old material but a person has lived some life, gained new experiences, has created all this new work to showcase and that old material is done and over with. I really liked hearing her new material and she’s gone back to her home grown roots of political songs. Check out her new album: Which Side Are You On

Over Thanksgiving weekend-Went to see a couple of movies:
Melancholia by Lars Von Trier is gorgeous . It unfolds very slowly...so slowly in fact that there were several theatergoers near me leave the screening halfway through it. But when the movie hit the halfway point it seemed to blossom and pick up speed. After all, it’s about the end of the world and the way two sisters (Justine and Claire) fragmented by the impending doom come to grips with it in their own ways. The cinematography is phenomenal. The dialogue sparse. The emotional content wavering along tense and taut, on the brink of shattering. It’s stark. But the movie has stayed with me for days on end afterwards. I love when movies affect me that way.

The Dangerous Method written by Christopher Hampton, filmed by David Cronenberg is about the relationship between Carl Jung, Sabina Spielrein and Sigmund Freud (drawn from true events). Keira Knightly is raw and delish to watch playing fragile intellectual Sabina. Knightly is raw and painfully exposed in this role. Viggo Mortensen, as Freud, seemed a bit out of his depth at first but as the movie progressed, the ambition of the man seemed to take on a more “dangerous” quality, Mortensen crackled electric when that element came through. Michael Fassbender as Jung was restrained and subdued but when his own desires began to diverge from the “norm” he came alive. Both the internal struggle (personal desires) and the external power struggle with Freud made Fassbender’s performance layered and piercing.

Icarus Magazine I continue to be involved with Icarus Magazine in my capacity as reader. Always looking for that stand out story in a pile of submissions. If you’d like to submit your work to this magazine, please check out their guidelines at http://lethepressbooks.com/guidelines.htm#About_contributions_for_Icarus. Literary magazine guidelines are different from Lethe Press Books so please read carefully. Hey! I just realized my name’s not up on their website...I’ll have to go bug them about that too. Just add it on to my perpetual to-do list that seems to be growing by the minute.
 
Enjoy for now and I'll have more for you shortly.
 
Peace,
 
L~
 
All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2011 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment