Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Bit of a Walk

Today I went for a long walk around the neighborhood with my niece Gexy. We stopped off at the bank for some cash so auntie could buy herself an iced coffee to help wake up a bit.  First stop the comic book store.  Yes, this is the part where I fess up to being a bit of geeky fangirl.  I checked the newest issues out and looked around for a good long while.  I picked up an issue of Fables, they retell fairy tales with a modern twist.  Very cool indeed.  I checked out the collectible merchandise and wondered if I should sell my Astonishing X-Men collection written by Joss Whedon for some extra cash.  Mental note to check out market value on them.  I know T would kill me if I sold them before he got a chance to read them.  Hmmm.  Just an idea that popped into my head.

Initially, Gexy and I were going to the library to take out the play The Miracle Worker by William Gibson but the library on 6th and 9th street was closed for renovation.  And neither one of us wanted to go ALL THE WAY to Grand Army Plaza on foot, on such a hot day.

We walked up to the local Barnes and Noble and grabbed a couple of empty chairs with an armful of animation books.  Gexy is really interested in technique so a couple of reference books and some behind the scenes books to some of our favorites like Avatar: The Last Airbender (animation series) and How To Train a Dragon (movie).  They showed some of the concept sketches and how they came up with the story arcs for their projects.  Very interesting to see the first pencil drawings as they developed out each of the characters and how they thought out some of the backstory for the characters.  We sat there for a good long while pouring over the pages.

Finally, we bought a copy of The Miracle Worker and went to find some lunch.  We went to Five Guys to grab a couple of burgers and fries.  Yum!  And off we went walking again.  Stopped off at an office supplies store to soothe my inner organizing diva but for the life of me I completely forgot why I was there.  We looked around, laughed at greeting cards and little toys made in china.  One last stop to the local art supply shop on 7th ave to buy a couple of paintbrushes for me and one sanguine drawing pencil for Gexy and we were out back out walking up the hill to the house.  We kept looking for the tree-lined blocks for a bit of shade 'cause it was HOT out there today.

Now we are lying on my bed (me with my laptop, Gexy with her nose in a book) in front of my fan.  At least it's cooler in the basement. I'm off to write my daily pages and read the Cameron book (part of my daily tasks for each day).

I need a little inspiration....if I could only get out of my own way.  I was up until 3 am last night because my brain keeps mulling over Prodigal.  But every time I meet the page, I go blank. As in. nothing there, no one's home.  Funny but true.

All for now,

Lily



All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment