Saturday, August 21, 2010


Gosh, where have I been for the last ten days?  I wish I could say that I was lying on a beach somewhere.  Alas, that has not been the case.  More like hand wringing over lack of a paying job than anything else.  I didn't want to take up too much time on this blog whinging about my worries.  I get to a point where I sincerely want to kick my own ass and can't listen to myself complain one more day.  So I opted to just deal with it.

I had applied to chashama for some studio space and was awarded one.  However, when it came time to sign the lease, my lack of job prospects gave me a serious reality check.  I passed on the space because of the lack of incoming funds.  Wouldn't you know it...four days later I land myself a decent long term temp job in the finance sector.  Are you kidding me?!  I swear, sometimes I think the universe just laughs at me.  If I had just a little more patience and a little bit more faith, I could see the opportunities opening up in my life.  But I am an Almendarez...which means very little patience and a doubting Thomas to boot.  The cup isn't just half empty, but there are microbes in the water too.  

So now my challenge will be to be diligent to schedule time before and after work to spend time on my writing and art. My friend Christine (also a writer) gets to work an hour and a half before her day starts just to get some writing done. How does she do it?  I am SO NOT a morning person.  LOL.  My eyes may be open but my brain doesn't click on until at least 10 am with a couple of cups of earl grey tea.  Hmmm, I wonder if that will help me get past my inner critic....that beotch never shuts up.  

Anyway, I've been warned that this position is a mundane sort of job....which is fine by me.  I'd like to keep some of those brain cells for the creative work.  I get some of my best ideas in office environments.  There is something about the rhythm of repetitive work where my imagination decides to stretch.  I'll just bring my notebook to jot things down.  Also, not worrying about money may help the creative process too.  I've been so up and down that it's a wonder that I get any creative work done.  

Hmmm, so what else?  Ah yes, Prodigal, my work-in-progress.  The play is coming along.  It's always so difficult for me to get started but once I'm in it, I AM SO IN IT. I did some hard edits the last two days.  I spent 5.5 hours writing yesterday. Got rid of the character Carlos.  Deleted Scene 4 altogether and I am now focusing on the three main characters Dylan, Mona and Astrid.   It's tough to get rid of some of the writing but I knew that my focus was tilting towards the wrong characters.  I re-worked Scene 2 between Mona and Dylan and I'm not loving it...but I'm definitely NOT hating it.  That's a good sign.  

Afterwards, I curled up with the novel NADYA by Pat Murphy.  But my head was still working on the play.  I opted for eating sushi and watching a couple of episodes of the Dresden Files.  What a really good show, too bad it was cancelled.  Anyway, I've procrastinated enough with this entry.  I'm going to work on the play for a couple of hours before my sisters come over to BBQ.  
    
Peace~


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment