Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) by Alejandro González Iñárritu


Saturday night, I went to see this film.  I absolutely loved it.  
Quick description: A washed-up actor must overcome his fears, insecurities and family trouble as he mounts a Broadway play in a bid to reclaim his past glory. 

The dark humor is so up my alley.  It's so funny that I missed follow up jokes because I was still laughing at the first ones. Edward Norton as Mike was by far my favorite character. There is a certain kind of genius whenever he's up on the screen.  I follow and believe his characters no matter how absurd he acts.  Wonderful performance. To be fair he had some of the funnier moments.

I have a confession to make: Michael Keaton has never been an actor that has ever left an impression on me.  There was one role that I thought he was so far out that I thought he was decent and that was Beetlejuice. But I was not a fan of his Batman portrayal and after Christian Bale in that role, I don't really remember Keaton. After this film, I am now a fan.  He's got so many really amazing moments but the ones that made an impression were the times he was the most desperate.  The argument he has with the critic gave me chills because of the way he bared his soul. 

Emma Stone as his daughter Sam had one strong moment early in the film.  It's the first lengthy confrontation with Keaton.  After that, I think Inarritu forgot about her as a character. The film was strong but not perfect.  Inarritu has one high Hollywood action sequence that I could have done without. 

All the theater backstage references were so right on that I was in tears, I laughed so hard.  Seriously I could go on and on, breaking down the nuances, of this movie
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and spent a couple of hours after the movie talking about it with a friend.  

                                                                                                 
All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2014 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment