Thursday, November 4, 2010

I fully admit that for a good long while there I was “a bit” of a tormented writer working on my play. I see that perfectly clear right now. I finally let go of the death grip I’ve had on trying to complete the play and now I’m working on my very first science fiction novel. The tormented writer is gone and I’ve been enjoying the writing process again. Yep, you read that right…I’m actually enjoying the process. Let me say it again for the back row to hear it…I really love sitting down and writing again.

No more hemming and hawing, pacing in front of my computer trying to convince myself to sit in the chair and write. Instead, I’ve been sneaking a note here, a paragraph there, 1,000 words one day, 500 words the next and it’s coming along. The story is very rough but I know it’s a first draft. The story just needs to come out first. No holds bar. I won’t even go into what it’s about yet ‘cause it’s still in the newbie phase.

In fact, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t written on my blog more consistently. Working on this story, well it’s got me working…no drama, no pitching small fits over not knowing what to do next. I just sit there and I follow the story thread. That’s it. On most days, I really enjoy it.

So what has me doing this complete 180? I’ve been reading Stephen King’s book, On Writing and his words pried open and let some fresh air into this writer’s suffocating room. It’s shaken out the fearful writer and given me a good talking to. Now every night after work, I go home, eat some dinner and then try to hit a goal of 2,000 words. I haven’t quite made that goal yet but I’ve come close with 1,700 words one night earlier this week. Then I have a feeling of satisfaction like nothing else. The reality is I don’t know if what I’m writing is even any good but at this point in the process it doesn’t even matter. I think I’m finally hitting my stride. Thank goodness, I thought for sure I would have to come up with a plan B before I opened King’s book up. Screw Plan B, I’m going home to write.

P.S. Reading happening on Friday...check out 10.23 entry for details.  Peace

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment