Monday, May 26, 2014

Only Lovers Left Behind



I can't remember when I saw this movie, last week or a lifetime ago but Only Lovers Left Behind- written and directed by Jim Jarmusch starring Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston is gorgeous.  It's a dark romance when two Vampire lovers are reunited and they spend some quality time together after hours.  It's slow paced and decadent at times.  The soundtrack reverberates in the background, discordant but nuanced with each scene. Jarmusch is genius, I think the last movie I saw of his was Night on Earth (1991) but this film reminds me to go check out the rest of his work.  It's the kind of movie that I can disappear into as the characters have long winding conversations about art and music and the state of the world. Tilda Swinton is other-worldly as Eve. This actress can do no wrong, she is invested in Eve and her face is so expressive, she's allows audience members to read her very soul. Beautiful work on her side.  Tom Hiddleston is that tortured musician as Adam. He plays well against Swinton but the funnier moments are played with Ian (played by Anton Yelchin) and Ava (played by Mia Wasikowska).  After watching this movie, I wanted to turn around and go watch it again. There is certain quality to the smaller movies that I go see that keep me enthralled.  The dialogue, the story arc, the soundtrack when they hit these points properly they stay with me long after I have left the theater.  Bravo.  I hope more go to see this one.  It's definitely worth it.  

Peace,

Lily

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2014 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment