Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Bright Day in December

Let’s see, for the past couple of days I’ve been dealing with a raging head cold. You know the kind, you’re so congested you feel like your head is made out of cotton balls and you’re submerged in water. Not fun at all. I missed a day and half of work. I’m temping so I don’t get paid if I don’t physically go into work. Hmmm. It’s fine. I mostly slept those two days and it was enough to get back on my feet by Wednesday. Well just barely.

I did manage to go to a networking social given by NYCEDC late Tuesday night, despite a mild fever. Now what the hell was I thinking? Part of me didn’t want to miss the opportunity. You never know what chance encounter will open up a new door. However, most of the time, I find myself struggling with some residual shyness. For the most part, I’m pretty outgoing but when it comes to these events you have to be ON. When I feel the pressure of being ON, I lose my words. I managed to introduce myself to a few people and get some business cards so a little high-five for me. I stayed for about an hour and a half and then this cold got the better of me. By the time I made it to the train to head home I had chills and a full-on fever. Bleck!! :-p Glad I went. I just wish I had been feeling a bit better to deal with the socializing aspect of it.

I also managed to write another 1,025 words for my novel. I know I haven’t been updating word count lately…but I haven’t been doing a whole lot of writing. There are no excuses. It’s just difficult to face the empty page every day. It really does (my eyes just popped wide open). Over the weekend I wrote a mere 500 words and felt pretty despondent over the meager word count. Yes, this is what goes on in my head, “meager word count.” It was so slow getting those 500 words that I thought to myself, “that’s it, I’m all dried up. I will never be able to finish this thing.” Then on Tuesday in a feverish state, I wrote another 1,000. Where did that come from? I don’t know but the prospect of not writing and finishing is a lot more painful than facing the empty page. So I choose the lesser of two evils. Gosh, what the hell am I prattling on about? Don’t I have work to do or something? (looking over my shoulder.) Aww heck, I can spare a moment or two to continue with this entry. These blog entries keep me grounded when I’m feeling a bit lost.

This morning, I walked out of my house to find a small group of starlings picking over my neighbor’s garbage (He has pet birds and plenty of bird seed in his garbage apparently). Now on most days it would be no big deal, right? But today, they were being loud and aggressive as they fought over the seeds and I clapped my hands loudly to get them to fly away. I tell you, hand to G*d, they just looked at me and then went back to squawking at each other. It made me laugh out loud, which then actually scared them away. Nice! Anyway, thought that little moment was made to be written down.

All for now…
Have a great day. It’s a bright, bitter cold day in NYC…you gotta love winter.
L~

All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2010 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment