Sunday, November 9, 2008

Words Flame Open



She watches us with the lens
of an outsider looking on.

She is unhappy

with the lazy sunlight

and the large bumblebee

hovering nearby.


She gives away her sex

with her eyes but not to me.

Instead she gives me

pretty green picture-setting

and holds her words away.

I listen to the sound of

toddlers crying

in the distant playground.

I am too old to whine

but it doesn’t stop

the “but why?”

that escapes my mouth.


I lie down on the blanket

in the middle of the field

and watch clouds skim by

realizing this ending

will be too difficult to bear

she runs too deep within my skin.


And the children cry

in the distance

because they don’t

want to share.

Her pale thin skin

turns red but she is calm

as she seeks shade alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment