Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Five Points


Fingertips strike out seconds, push
along in a jagged momentum. You,
wrapped up in blankets, poetry and
careless entropy. 

We strive to cross off our time
together. I offend you when I laugh
loudly but my quiet mouth
puts you on edge. Your chatter
marks away more light.

A bottle full of water is best left
untouched, save it for a rainy day.
I hop from one foot to the next
waiting for hours to melt me back
onto a train, heading home. 

It’s been awhile since we laughed
over vapid movies and I smelled
your raw scent.  Open a bottle
of wine, pour us a taste.  We belong
in a song’s refrain.

Six a.m. writing lines, a nest of notes
built of scrap paper bloom at the bottom
of my purse.  I promise to throw out
the next poem about rain no matter
where we wind up. 

Black ashes and oil across our foreheads
ten lives out of mind.  You are concrete
when you cough, second hand moves
only when the scaffolding comes off.

Keep talking without stopping, so what
if I’ve left the room.  A dark sky, a red hand,
a grey goose circumscribes the dull ache of living.             


All artwork, photos, and text © Copyright 2008-2013 Liliana Almendarez unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Liliana Almendarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment